Photobucket

quote of note
“The nature of a paradigm is such that it cannot change unless it is replaced" - Sarah Sumner
nehemiah project
Photobucket

from my library
online biblical study resources
worthy endeavors
Thursday, January 03, 2008
The Best of the Available.

Well, the 2008 Presidential Race officially begins this evening. That means that as a responsible person...I must begin to attempt to learn who these candidates are and inform myself on their stances. If I am honest I would admit that I don't particularly like to vote in our 2 party political system, for I am always feeling as if I am voting for the lesser of two evils.
I am not the only one that feels this way and different people deal with this fact differently. Some choose to tow the party line, and not deal with candidates specific beliefs and convictions, only worrying about whether "their team" wins. I do not have loyalties with either the donkey or the pacaderm, so I don't have a team, and therefore I don't have team loyalties. In fact, I believe that many times both groups are going in the same direction, one is just going faster than the other. So, without allegiance, I attempt to focus on the specific people running for office. It is admittedly harder this way. I have to pay attention to the way politicians have voted, what they have voted for. I have to read their publications, listen to their speeches, giving fair treatment to each, while listening with a discerning ear. In this age of "spin" it is hard to get a grasp of who each person is.
Others deal with our flawed system by not participating at all. Rather than giving their support to a candidate that they "disagree with less" than the other candidates, they just don't give their support. I can understand this, and I have actually done that before. However, as I a follower of Jesus and a believer that through him God is redeeming this world, and wants us to be a part of it, I can not sit on the sidelines. I am compelled to participate, even though I know that my vote is only one, I can make a difference. So, even though the system we have only gives us two real choices, (since no independent has a realistic chance), I participate in this flawed system, with the hope and prayer that my participation can make a difference.
So, I will begin researching, reading, listening, and comparing. I will do some of it here, and would love for others' advice, input, and info. Maybe together we can work out who is the best of the available.

Labels: , ,

posted by Unknown @ 2:11 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ben thomas
Photobucket

previous thoughts
links
blogs I read
archives
stuff