Photobucket

quote of note
“The nature of a paradigm is such that it cannot change unless it is replaced" - Sarah Sumner
nehemiah project
Photobucket

from my library
online biblical study resources
worthy endeavors
Monday, December 03, 2007
The Time of Expectations

It is advent season again. The time of expectations. The time when we expect, anticipate, and keep our eyes open for the coming of Messiah. Being interested in Biblical history as I am, I have often tried to place myself in the context of a good "God fearing" 1st century Jewish person's context when it came to expecting Messiah. I wonder if I would have seen this man Jesus of Nazareth as the Messiah. The tendency among those of our time when looking at the Jewish sect in the 1st century is to look with a judging eye, as if to say, "how could they miss it?" However, when we look closer at the context, the prophecies they knew by heart and the present socio-political situation that they lived within, it is hard for me to blame them. They expected Yahweh to work, they just didn't expect it would look like it did.


Of course there are immediate correlations to our own lives. We have ideas and expectations to how our lives will play out. However, anyone who has lived for long finds out quickly that life doesn't always play out as we think it is going to. Not even for Christians. Plans change, dreams submit to reality, and expectations are broken. I wonder if this is the same for our thoughts of God and how he works in our lives?


To be honest, I have been struggling with where I am in my life. I had thought while I was in seminary that I would go to a church and spend twenty years pastoring, preaching, teaching, growing with the community. Well...I have pastored two churches and been a hospice chaplain in the last six years. Not exactly the stability that I had hoped for. I know God is teaching me through this time, and I know there are things I need to learn and ways I need to mature. However, it is still hard to see the hand of God in unmet expectations. Maybe I'm like the Jews that couldn't see Jesus in the face of their misplaced expectations. Thankfully, he didn't give up on His Plan because they had misplaced expectations. That gives me hope as well.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Unknown @ 3:54 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 12/06/2007 12:49 AM, Blogger Miles said…

    I'm glad to see you blogging again, my friend...

    I can't provide wisdom for the struggles you have, as my situation is somewhat similar. But, I can let you in on my prayer during this season. It goes something like this, "Lord, in this time of change and/or preparation, please help me to see and appreciate the here and now."

    Why wait for it to be over before really seeing what God's done, ya know?

    Maybe that doesn't make sense...it's late here.

     
  • At 12/06/2007 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That is a good piece of advice. I have a hard time being "present". It is interesting, that I recognize this was a strength of Jesus in his ministry. He always seemed to be present where ever he was. That sounds very "Zen" I know, but there is some truth to its importance. If we are always looking forward to things to come, we might miss what is happening right now. Good advice, my friend.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ben thomas
Photobucket

previous thoughts
links
blogs I read
archives
stuff