Photobucket

quote of note
“The nature of a paradigm is such that it cannot change unless it is replaced" - Sarah Sumner
nehemiah project
Photobucket

from my library
online biblical study resources
worthy endeavors
Friday, October 28, 2011
1 Samuel 2:11-17 - The Oldest Sin in the Book
      The picture is a bit strange. We read stories like this one in 1 Samuel about sacrifices, priests, burnt offerings, and the like and we can easily skip over what the story conveys...and that it even has a meaning for us today. But there it is...the oldest sin in the book. I think the author/editor of 1 Samuel told this story for the purpose of comparing the young Samuel and the sons of the Priest Eli, revealing the struggle that is within all of us. This is the struggle of mankind...has been and always will be.
      Samuel, having been dedicated by his mother  to God and his service, was living with the priests in the place of worship. The text said that he was "ministering to the Lord". This caught my eye immediately. Often when we think of "ministry" we think of it being done by people to people. This text is specific to tell us that Samuel was ministering to the Lord, not to others. Does this mean that Samuel would not at some point minister to those who came, much like Eli ministered to his mother before? No, of course not. This was not and is not a call to ignore the needs of the people God cares for. Rather, this is a matter of priority.
       I wonder if when we forget that our first service, love, and attention are to be given to God, even though we might be giving care to people who need it, we become tempted to look to ourselves for strength and even believe that we are the source of strength. I have seen it play out that way in my life. I work in a vocation of professional ministry. Much of that ministry is to people. In many ways that ministry is exceptionally fulfilling for me. To help someone through a tough time, whether it is a marital problem, overcoming an addiction, spiritual anxiety, or a crisis situation, can be and is rewarding. However, I have noticed times when the priority of the focus of my calling to be a minister has switched from the one who called me to those that are in need. When that happens I begin to self-decieve. I convince myself I am more important than I really am. I convince myself of the need to sacrifice things (ie. quiet prayer time, family time, etc.) for others because I am "caring for them" when really it is much more about me and propping up the lie of my "strength" and "knowledge". I really have convinced myself to rely on "me" rather than God.
      I wonder if this is where it started for Eli's sons? The text calls them "scoundrels" but I wonder if they began that way. Maybe they were led to a vocation of ministry through a genuine love for God that over time became tainted because their priorities became less about "ministering to God" and more about their own self importance. Of course we see at this stage in their stories they have given themselves over to corruption and sin, taking for themselves the offerings meant for God, treating them with "contempt". But I wonder how they got to this place. It is easy to see a person, whether it be these men, or others even in our lives, that seem to be immoral or unethical and shake our head as if there were major mistakes made when they were created. Forgetting that this is the result of the oldest sin in the book...the sin of self-reliance and thus, rejection of God.
      Each and every one of us have choices each and every day that will lead us more to rely on ourselves or to rely more on God. The sons of Eli like us were human, and as humans we are challenged to rely not on our "own understanding" but to rely on God. The only way to avoid self reliance is to follow in the footsteps of Samuel, and "minister to the Lord" on a daily basis. It is when we do the small things daily to focus on God, we are able to rely on him and not on ourselves.
posted by Unknown @ 9:31 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ben thomas
Photobucket

previous thoughts
links
blogs I read
archives
stuff