Photobucket

quote of note
“The nature of a paradigm is such that it cannot change unless it is replaced" - Sarah Sumner
nehemiah project
Photobucket

from my library
online biblical study resources
worthy endeavors
Monday, June 06, 2011
Standing Far Enough Away
I have been wrestling in my own life, as a pastor, husband, father, and person, with the idea of being a peacemaker. At NPC we have been going through Jesus' sermon in Luke 6, and most recently his words on loving your enemies. We have been wrestling with what this means, to truly love your enemies. One of the truths that have come out of this for me is that it is not enough when it comes to loving my enemies, to stand far enough away so that I can't get hit. I am supposed to be doing active good toward those that are hostile to me. Jesus said, "Do good to those that who hate you." What does it mean to do good?

I of course am not advocating that people stay in situations where they are getting physically, or emotionally abused. However, it is not enough to just remove ourselves from the hostility of the enemy, we are called to "do good". Of course, what "doing good" looks like is going to be specific to every situation. I do, however, believe that it will always involve praying for those that hurt us. Prayer should be the most active and first step taken in enemy love. The call to pray for one's enemies is not as much a call for God to change them, but a call for God to help us see them as he does. We need God to help us see them within the same grace offered to us. This is difficult no doubt.

Where is God leading us to do good toward those that have acted as our enemies?

Labels: , , ,

posted by Unknown @ 11:07 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ben thomas
Photobucket

previous thoughts
links
blogs I read
archives
stuff