Photobucket

quote of note
“The nature of a paradigm is such that it cannot change unless it is replaced" - Sarah Sumner
nehemiah project
Photobucket

from my library
online biblical study resources
worthy endeavors
Thursday, February 07, 2008
R.I.P. Netscape

Well, it is final, Netscape is dead. That initializer of Web access, a pioneer of the then unknown world wide web, the vehicle through which all of us were introduced to what is now so familiar; is gone. It is sad, but those in High School or younger probably have never heard of Netscape. It is a Google world now, but I remember. I remember discovering the Web through this then inovative search engine. I remember the excitement of something new, something that blew our minds. That was a time when the internet was seen by many as a mix of wonderful invention and secret government plot to take over the world. Netscape started the whole thing off, opening up the www to all who would dare to tread. Well, now it is over for the once Giant of the industry. I just heard that AOL is pulling the plug on it.


I guess it should surprise me. Thomas Edison's invention was soon overtaken by someone else who took his idea and furthered it. Alexander Graham Bell would have never seen cell phones coming. And what about Ben Franklin and Batteries? Oh well, we will remember Netscape with those brave innovators. Rest in Peace. BTW, if you have never heard of Netscape you should really Google it. :)

Labels: , , ,

posted by Unknown @ 5:03 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 2/07/2008 5:48 PM, Blogger Miles said…

    I remember Netscape, and I remember doing all my searches on Webcrawler or Excite as well. Fare thee well, Netscape...we'll never forget the great boat wheel icon. Or, was it something else, I forget.

    glad to see you're alive, my friend. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ben thomas
Photobucket

previous thoughts
links
blogs I read
archives
stuff