Photobucket

quote of note
“The nature of a paradigm is such that it cannot change unless it is replaced" - Sarah Sumner
nehemiah project
Photobucket

from my library
online biblical study resources
worthy endeavors
Tuesday, August 03, 2010
Why I understand yet disagree with Anne Rice's decision.
Recently I was referred to an article posting on www.npr.org written about popular Christian author, Anne Rice, and her announcement that she is quitting Christianity. Apparently Rice has struggled for a while with many of the actions of the Christian church, or at least conservative parts of it. What pushed her over the edge to quitting Christianity, was reading an article about an ultra-conservative youth organization in Minnesota that has apparently been advocating the execution of homosexuals as being biblical.
Let me say first, I understand Rice's decision. I even agree with some of her motivations for taking the step she has taken. It is difficult for me to stomach some of the many things that have been said and done in the name of Jesus. Through out history we see examples of those claiming to follow Jesus waging wars, killing innocent people, fostering racial hatred, and the list goes on.
I will never forget when I took my first Church History class in seminary. As someone who loved history, I optimistically, and naively, dove in to find out more about the history of our faith. I became very sad very quickly when I began to read stories of people calling themselves "the church of Jesus" doing things that seemed opposite of anything Jesus did or would do. I am even more sad to see that in many ways we have not learned from our mistakes. Today some of the most hate filled acts and messages still resonate from the halls of so called "Christian" churches. It is enough to make some one want to disassociate from the Christian lot all together. I understand.
Yet, even though I understand Rice's decision to quit Christianity, I respectfully disagree. And surprisingly enough, the reason I disagree is based on the same issue that lead Rice to quit the church. Christ-likeness. Rice has decided to follow Jesus while not being a part of the Christian church. Rice seems to distance her self from the Christian church because she sees little "Christ-likeness" within it. I stay dedicated to the church because doing so is Christ-like.
God has never given up on his people, but constantly worked to remind them of their failures, misunderstandings, and out right misrepresentations of him. Jesus is the perfect example of this. Standing outside the city, on his trek to complete what he knew was his divinely given vocation, with a mix of love and disappointment in his eyes, Jesus gazed at the city of Jerusalem, the symbol of those he came to preach to, and feeling many of the same feelings expressed by Rice, stated "Jerusalem, Jerusalem the city that kills the the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" Even while recognizing that those he had come to preach the good news of the kingdom to had rejected him, he continued his journey toward the self-sacrifice of the cross...for them.
The church is not perfect, and it won't be until God's redemption plan is complete. However, I stick with the church, the Body of Christ, because the Head of that Body has stuck with me in my imperfection. I must stop here and say, that I do believe there are those in this world who call themselves followers of Jesus but are not. I am not the judge, but I do believe God gives us the ability and responsibility to speak out against those who are falsely representing the name of Christ, like for example, this youth organization that pushed Rice over the edge.
This is what our call is, not to give up on the church, but to be the church, so that the we are constantly reminding ourselves and each other what it means to be Christ-like in this world. Jesus did not and has not given up on his church. In fact, even in light of all its imperfections, Jesus has chosen to work through the church to reveal and enact his redemption. The Apostle Paul said we are clay, cracked pots, holding within us treasure. The treasure has chosen to be revealed through the cracks of the unworthy vessels. As cracked as the vessel is, I am proud to call myself a part of it.
Miss Rice, we need you too to be a part of the church. I recognize the pain, hurt and truth to your motivations for quitting on Christianity. And here is the thing that you might not realize. In your honest quest to follow Jesus, and not Christianity, it will ultimately lead you back to the church. For you will love what Christ loves, and want to be a part of Christ's actions in this world, and this will make you a part of his church. 
posted by Unknown @ 2:19 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ben thomas
Photobucket

previous thoughts
links
blogs I read
archives
stuff